The Burra valley is approximately 25 km south of Queanbeyan, in the Queanbyan Palerang Regional Council area of NSW. It lies between the Monaro Highway and Captains Flat, 20kms north of Michelago and covers approximately 150 square kilometres. Urila and Tinderry are to the east of Burra.

The valley has been described as: “God’s little acres” (Tom Moore, 2000); “Fine forest country intersected by stony ranges” (Currie 1825); “The most scenic hobby farm area around Canberra” (Nathan Carroll, 2000); “Spectacular views, tranquil” (anon); “Serenity, a little piece of heaven” (Lajla Sidhu, 2000).

Throughout its European history, Burra has been a rural locality, a sheep and cattle grazing area. European land use in the area began as early as 1835.

The district of Burra is presently zoned as rural residential and now has about 350 households. There is no town but it is rather a district of a few remaining large properties and smaller “hobby farms”.

Although the development in the Burra area is in a rural environment, the population does not represent a rural population. There are many professional people including a high proportion of public servants and teachers, as well as tradesmen, self-employed and those who are employed on the land.